Budget Weddings IN UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wedding guest survival tips?

2 posters

Go down

Wedding guest survival tips? Empty Wedding guest survival tips?

Post by Libby88 Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:48 pm

I'm starting to worry about the wedding I'm attending this weekend for my bf's cousin. I'm just a worrier and am nervous about dealing with his entire family all at once. I already have my outfit selected and hotel rooms booked so are there any tips anyone has for dealing with those awkward questions and having to repeat the same answer about what I'm going to grad school for 20 times?

Libby88

Back to top Go down

Wedding guest survival tips? Empty Re: Wedding guest survival tips?

Post by Libby88 Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:49 pm

Yeah, this happened to me a couple times when I was dating/engaged to my hubby. And I, too, was rehearsing what I'd say. The biggest thing I learned was it's not smart to assume what the topics of conversation will be. I met his cousin, for example, and we spent over an hour talking about TV shows (we both have the same weird taste).

Also, remember that one way to deflect awkward questions is to ask your own. Like they say, everyone's favorite topic is themself. This doesn't guarantee you won't end up being asked about grad school, but I doubt you'll turn into an automaton mindlessly repeating your career goals. And who knows, the convo might take an interesting turn.

Finally - most important - don't fall into the trap of exaggering your own importance (if that makes sense!). There's so much going on at weddings, including the family reunion aspect. His mom might be far more interested in talking to her sister about the bride and groom, and whether she thinks her daughter snagged the right guy.. This could be far more critical in her mind than your sleeping arrangements. That sort of thing.

Libby88

Back to top Go down

Post by Charlenec09 Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:18 pm

I hope this is a joke. Is it your brother's future wife? She has every right to have her own sisters and close friends on her side. If you're that close to your brother, he can invite you to be a grooms woman on his side. However, there's a teeny tiny possibility he might think you'd cause drama and make chaos of their wedding party. Can't imagine why.

You could show up looking beautiful as you can, not ridiculous as you would in a wedding dress, and graciously wish your brother and his wife a happy marriage. Just a thought.

If it's your husband's sister getting married, it's rare that you would be in her wedding party either, unless you happen to be very close. I didn't ask my husband's sister to be in my wedding, because we barely knew each other and it didn't even occur to me. My husband's brother's fiancée at the time didn't ask me, though my husband and children were all in the wedding, and I wasn't offended at all. I helped with my kids, who were ring bearer and flower girl.

Charlenec09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down